Friday, March 4, 2011

Something Old, Something New


Steven Wright said "When I think of the past, it brings up so many memories."

Think about that one for a second.

From time to time I like to look through older photos I have taken. I'm always learning new techniques, whether it's in camera or in Photoshop. Sometimes a new technique strikes a chord with an old photo and new art is born. Several years ago my neighbor wanted to take his new camera on a Cape Cod safari. This was the location we started at. When we got there I was a little uninspired by the light and lack of color. Cape Cod can be a bit dreary in the winter. But we made a few compositions anyway. I have an underlying motto when I go somewhere with my camera: "Don't come back without SOMETHING!" In other words, there's always something of interest almost anywhere you go. Sometimes you just have to look for it, whether you just change your perspective, get a little or a LOT closer to something in the scene, or use a different lens to frame something interesting, there's usually something artistic to be found. So almost 5 years to the day I combined an interesting composition with a newer photographic treatment to create "Crackled Pier". Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment